(1) The following terms, when used in this Section, shall have the following meaning:
a. “Amphibian” means any cold-blooded vertebrate of the class Amphibia, such as frogs, toads, newts, or salamanders.
b. “Animal” means any of a kingdom of living being typically differing from plants in capacity for spontaneous movement and rapid motor response to stimulation.
c. “Arachnid” means any wingless, carnivorous arthropod of the class Arachnida, including spiders and scorpions.
d. “Bird” means any warm-blooded vertebrate of the class Aves, such as a cockatiel, parakeet, or canary.
e. “Cat” means a domesticated cat of the species Felis catus.
f. “Chicken” means a domestic fowl of the species Gallus domesticus.
g. “Dog” means a domesticated dog of the species Canis familiaris.
h. “Duck” means a domesticated web-footed swimming bird of the family Anatidae, characterized by a broad, flat bill, short legs, and depressed body.
i. “Ferret” means a domesticated variety of the European Polecat.
j. “Fish” means any cold-blooded, aquatic vertebrate having gills and a body covered with scales.
k. “Hedgehog” means a domesticated hedgehog of the species Atelerix albiventris, including the African pygmy hedgehog.
l. “Insect” means any Animal of the class Insecta, such as a cricket or grasshopper.
m. “Pot-Bellied Pig” means a Vietnamese or Chinese pot-bellied pig, spayed or neutered, and kept as a Household Pet, not for livestock or food purposes. Pot-bellied pigs must be less than 150 pounds, and any tusks must either be removed or kept trimmed.
n. “Rabbit” means a rodent-like burrowing mammal of the family Leporidae.
o. “Reptile” means any cold-blooded vertebrate of the class Reptilia, such as a turtle or lizard.
p. “Rodent” means an Animal of the order Rodentia, such as a hamster or mouse.
(2) Subject to the restrictions of this Section, the following Animals may be kept as Household Pets:
e. Female chickens;
l. Pot-Bellied pigs;
n. Reptiles; and
(3) Only Animals listed in subsection (2) above may be kept as Household Pets. Notwithstanding subsection (2) above, no Animal prohibited by federal, state, or local law may be kept as a Household Pet. Notwithstanding subsection (2) above, no poisonous or venomous Animal may be kept as a Household Pet.
(4) Notwithstanding subsection (2) above, roosters and crowing hens may not be kept as Household Pets.
(5) Household Pets shall be limited to no more than four Animals per address, including no more than two cats, no more than two dogs, and no more than two pot-bellied pigs. Kittens and puppies as defined in Section 23-1-102 do not count toward these limits.
(6) All Household Pets shall be maintained, controlled, and cared for as required by federal, state, and local law, including but not limited to the provisions of the West Valley City Municipal Code regarding Animal nuisances as set forth in Section 23-5-101.
(7) The provisions of this Section may be enforced as set forth in Title 10, including but not limited to the exercise of the authority set forth in Section 10-1-302. Civil penalties for violation of this Section are set forth in the Consolidated Fee Schedule.